Saturday afternoon at the movies


This is a scheduled post.  When I realized I would not be around on Saturday, I decided to create this post based on one my internet friends CJ and occasionally Kathy who are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   However, unlike CJ, who says there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films (often hilarious, occasionally irreverent).  Her synopses are not to be missed.

One thing you should know about my choice of films.  You won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.  For this first film, I give you some big names, and science fiction.  I promise to not start with Die Hard.

My friend Scott rented this video that he said he thought I would like.  He was correct.  I loved it.  The film originally came out in 1982 and is loosely based on Phillip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  It is relevant because this dystopian film is set in Los Angeles in 2019.  It was directed by Ridley Scott.

Harrison Ford plays Rick Deckard in the film.  Deckard is a burnt out Blade Runner, or person who hunts down illegal "replicants," or bioengineered synthetic humans designed to work on off world colonies.  He has been informed that four illegal replicants have returned to earth.  Led by Roy Batty, played by Rutger Hauer, these four illegals return to earth and wreak havoc.

Rachel, played by Sean Young, is the administrative assistant to the CEO of the Tyrell Corporation that created all the replicants.  Even though Deckard takes a long time talking to Rachel, he believes she is also a replicant.  However, she helps Deckard hunt down the four replicants, played by Daryl Hannah, Brion James, Joanna Cassidy, and Hauer who returned to earth to find and destroy their creator. Edward James Olmos played Deckard's supervisor, Gaff. 

In the end, both Deckard and Rachel appear to fall in love and walk away together.

Blade Runner has won numerous awards and has become a cult classic.  It was inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress because, according to Wikipedia, it is "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

I have no idea where you can find it today, but if you do, I hope you like it as much as I.

Previous
Next Post »